Comino Island Malta Best Eco-friendly Travel Tips, Comino Island, situated in the Mediterranean Sea, is a picturesque and petite island forming part of the Maltese archipelago between Malta and Gozo.
Covering a mere 3.5 square kilometers, this idyllic haven is home to just over 30 individuals. Comino Island is renowned for its pristine and transparent waters and its tranquil bays, making it an irresistible destination for swimming, snorkeling, and diving enthusiasts. Moreover, the island boasts several breathtaking hiking trails, offering mesmerizing panoramic views of the surrounding seascape and neighboring islands.
Optimal Time to Explore Comino Island
Comino Island, an enchanting gem between Malta and Gozo, captivates visitors with its crystalline waters and picturesque beaches. The ideal period to visit Comino Island spans from April to October, when the weather is warm and sunny, allowing for an unforgettable experience.
How to Reach Comino Island?
If your journey commences from Malta, you can access Comino Island via boat or helicopter.
The most popular mode of transportation to Comino Island is a public ferry departing from either Sliema or Cirkewwa. The ferry ride lasts approximately 25 minutes. Alternatively, water taxis are available from various points along the Maltese coastline, offering direct passage to Comino.
Chartering a private yacht or catamaran is an excellent choice for those seeking a more exclusive and personalized adventure, enabling you to explore the neighboring area at your own leisurely pace.
For a touch of luxury, consider a helicopter transfer from Malta International Airport, which guarantees the swiftest journey to Comino. However, it is essential to note that this option comes at a premium cost.
Essential Items to Pack for a Trip to Comino Islan
d When preparing for your trip to Comino Island, remember to pack an ample supply of sunscreen, hats, and sunglasses to shield yourself from the island’s abundant sunshine, as shade is limited. Also, remember to include swimsuits, towels, snacks, and beverages, considering the island’s limited dining options.
Activities to Enjoy on Comino Island
While Malta offers many captivating attractions, if you desire a serene and rejuvenating getaway, Comino Island is the perfect destination to indulge in. Nestled between Malta and Gozo, this little island invites you to unwind and savor the wonders of the Mediterranean Sea. Below are our top recommendations for activities to enjoy on Comino Island:
- Delight in the Blue Lagoon, The Blue Lagoon, stands as Comino’s most alluring attraction, captivating visitors with its crystalline waters and inviting swimming conditions. Take a refreshing dip or leisurely float while immersing yourself in the breathtaking vistas.
- Embark on Snorkeling or Diving Excursions With its exceptionally clear waters, Comino presents an excellent opportunity for snorkeling or diving enthusiasts. Numerous companies offer boat trips from Malta or Gozo, allowing you to explore the remarkable reefs and caves surrounding Comino.
- Stroll Along Santa Marija Bay. Immerse yourself in the serene ambiance of Comino by embarking on a stroll around Santa Marija Bay. Revel in the beauty of the mesmerizing landscapes, and be sure to visit the lighthouse for an unparalleled panoramic view.
- Explore St Mary’s Tower For the more adventurous souls, hike up to St Mary’s Tower to savor the awe-inspiring vistas of Comino and its neighboring islands. This historic tower, constructed in 1618, captures the island’s rich heritage.
Accommodation Options on Comino Island
Comino Island offers a limited selection of eco-friendly accommodations. The first recommendation is the Bellavista Eco Lodge, a facility entirely powered by renewable energy and adorned with furnishings crafted from recycled materials. The lodge even boasts its organic garden, enhancing its sustainable ethos. For those seeking a touch of luxury, the COMINO HOTEL & BOUTIQUE VILLAS is an excellent choice. These villas are constructed using sustainable materials, with solar panels and a rainwater harvesting system. Lastly, the DOME VILLAGE ECO RESORT is a unique option. This resort was meticulously built using eco-friendly construction methods and operates solely on solar power.
Travel Tips for Malta Malta, with its remarkable attractions, warrants careful preparation. Here are some essential tips to consider:
- Pack Lightly: With the scorching Mediterranean sun, it is advisable to travel with minimal luggage. Pack only the essential items to ensure comfort and ease.
- Stay Hydrated: To combat dehydration in the heat, stay adequately hydrated by consuming ample water. Carrying a reusable water bottle at all times is highly recommended.
- Apply Sunscreen: The Maltese sun can be intense, so remember to apply sunscreen diligently, even on cloudy days.
- Dress Appropriately: When visiting religious sites or places of worship, adhere to modest dress codes and respect the local cultural norms.
- Anticipate Crowds: During the peak tourist season, Malta can become crowded. Prepare yourself for large crowds while sightseeing or visiting popular attractions.
Comino Island in Malta offers an exceptional destination for environmentally conscious travelers seeking an eco-friendly vacation. Whether you wish to dive into its translucent waters, explore its untamed landscapes, or bask in the sun’s embrace, Comino Island provides something remarkable for every sustainability-minded individual.
With these invaluable tips to ensure your trip’s sustainability and environmental friendliness, you must leave behind a significant carbon footprint to embark on a beautiful holiday. Begin packing and commence planning your eco-friendly adventure today! Comino Island Malta Best Eco-friendly Travel Tips